Thursday, January 7, 2010

Harry Potter and the Unmeetable Deadline

Today, Screamscape.com reports that the biggest thing to hit Universal Orlando since IOA itself, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, will be ready to debut its signature attraction on March 1st.

Really?

Who here thinks that's even a remote possibility? I know the intent is to have it open for Summer, and I realize they even want it open for Grad Bash, but March 1st is awfully lofty. That gives you 7 weeks to select and train an opening cast, get through soft openings (though Rip, Ride, Rockit sure showed us that soft openings are really just optional at this point) and be completely show ready.

If you were to tell me that Hogwarts Castle would be complete by March 1st I'd believe it - anyone who drives by Universal can see Hogwarts from I-4, and what a sight to see it is - but in order to have that attraction ready, wouldn't you have to have the land surrounding it ready for guests as well?

Assuming what Screamscape heard is true (and they have a respectable batting average), my question about this is why push forward the opening of one part of this land before the rest is ready? You'd think rather than putting an extreme stress test on that one attraction, you'd finish The Flying Hippogriff, and the re-do of Dueling Dragons and be ready with the shops and interactive spots to divert some traffic flow from what's likely the best attraction to hit Orlando in many years, certain to have long, long lines for years to come.

I guess we'll know soon enough if this is a real plan, a miscommunicated message, or complete hogwartswash.

2 comments:

  1. you're a good read-
    I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem all that out-of-character for UO to do this- just from what I heard about the Rockit opening...
    not sure how legit what I heard was though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jeremy, great blog.
    maybe theyve already been working with the ops cast?
    I also wonder about the site itself..maybe the ride in question is situated in an accessible spot within the land that makes it easily closed off from the rest? Im not really familiar with the site.
    I agree though, wait until its show ready. Although, that definition is getting fuzzier and fuzzier

    ReplyDelete